Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where the Heck have I been?



I know, I've been remiss in writing for a bit but I have been out of town seeing my younger daughter, Kimmie, get married to her sweet man, William, on Leap Year Day. It was a beautiful wedding and I am so proud of them. It's a long trip and I'm still trying to recover. Not a lot of time to write, although I did get into the first chapter of my book (hurrah!) and I picked up Gena Showalter's "The Darkest Surrender"; Paris' story, which is wonderful and I'll put up a review on it probably tomorrow.

I'm now reading Ascension by Caris Roane, it's good and it has the most interesting twist on the vampire mythos, I promise, you'll be getting the review on it just as soon as I finish it off. It's a series too so look forward to seeing the rest of the books reviewed too.


This is also Read an E-Book Week. If you have never read a book by electronic means, it's a good time to do so. I know, I know, many of us "oldsters" want to stick to our tried and true paper and ink bound books. There's something comforting in having it in your hand, being able to bend down a page or press a flower between the pages. Ever found a $20.00 bill in the pages of a book you remember reading years ago? I have. And then there's the look of your rooms filled with bookcases over-flowing with books you've read and may not read again. Yep, I have those too. We have enough to start a small-town library.

So why go to a Nook? Or a Kindle? Or any other electronic form? It's lighter than a book, it is back-lit so you are able to read without a light on or a clip on light. If you get bored with one book, open the library and pick another book, even when you're miles away from home because you carry your electronic library with you. And my Nook Tablet can access magazines, Graphic Novels, comic books, newspapers, music and videos, movies and TV, and I have all nine of the grandchildren's pictures and the children's pictures on it so Grandma's brag book is always with me. I can read a page or two waiting for a doctor and then just close it and not worry about a bookmark slipping or having to dog-ear a page.

And did I mention FREE BOOKS? Oh I didn't? Yeah, there are tons of free books out there. And you can borrow books from the library for more. And you can borrow some books from friends too. And then, some are purchased, but they are, many times, cheaper than a paper book. And you can keep them forever.

So, if you've never tried it, get your start now.. Kindle (Amazon) and Nook (Barnes and Noble)have downloadable (and free) readers for your computer that you use to read books from their sites. They both have free books to download to your computer and there are other sites that have free books, just put that in your search engine and have fun downloading things you will find yourself wanting to read.

Just don't blame me if you become addicted and need to buy an e-reader. Then again, drop me a note and tell me what you bought, your favorite e-book, and how many freebies you've managed to come up with.





No comments:

Post a Comment